a tiny world of disproportionate curiosity;  a place where the traditions of art, fashion and theatre often coalesce in the surreal

30 April 2011

{Mirka}


The Mirka exhibition at 
finishes tomorrow.


Mirka Mora and the circle of artists she belonged to,
have been of such inspiration to me and my work.

Books on her art, and that of the rest of the Heide Circle ,
have been at my fingertips ever since I can remember...

the exhibition catalogue
is available here online

her use of symbolism... flowers, birds, angels, dolls, animals;
'primativ style; mythical, fairytale themes and vast portfolio
metamorphosising as painting, sculpture, mosaic and more,
has captured my vivid imagination ever since I was a child.



Mirka Mora with her soft sculptures

My grandmother Clare, learnt doll-making from Mirka at 
the CAE in the 1970s and produced many beautiful mythical
creatures and dolls in this house where I am now living.

She and my grandfather ran a kind of folk art gallery up here
with a regular weekend market selling local arts and crafts,
and had glass cases built in which Clare exhibited her dolls.

doll by Clare K. Woods (my grandmother)

I spent endless hours as a little girl watching my
'Nana' create all manner of beautiful art objects.

Strangely enough, where we were living in the city for 3 years,
was directly across from Mirka's old studio at 8 Rankins Lane.

my 'Heidi' doll

I would stare at it every day from my own tiny workroom...

How nice it would have been to have popped into Mirka's on
my breaks for a cup of coffee and a chat about doll making.

Ari outside the doorway to Mirka's old studio



is one of my favourite places to visit around Melbourne

the old farm house at Heide

I love the history of the place, and I love so much the work
of the artists that it (and John and Sunday Reed) supported.

Girl by Joy Hester 1957

The gardens are so beautiful, especially th kitchen garden,
and the modernist building is a really incredible space to visit...

Heide II

But it's such a pleasure to me, being able to walk through
the old house since it's restoration, and imagine what it would
     have been like...

as a sanctuary for artists through the 1930s to the 1950s


John Reed cutting Joy Hester's hair 
while Sunday Reed Watched

1 comment: